I made these delightful mini cupcakes for Easter/Spring! The edible roses are made of slightly softened starburst candies. The little starburst flowers took forever to make but well worth it! Beautiful! Want to know how to pipe the frosting? Check out the Savory Sweet Life for a tutorial. The starburst flowers are pretty simple to make, just play around with them a bit!
- 1) Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2) Whisk Eggs with buttermilk and vanilla in separate bowl.
- 3) In very large bowl beat butter with mixer and alternate adding dry and wet mixture until smooth.
- 4) Fill mini cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 10-11 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 1) Stir slightly softened butter until smooth.
- 2) Add in powdered sugar slowly, stirring together with each addition.
- 3) Add in vanilla and cake mix.
- 4) Slowly add in teaspoons of milk until frosting is medium thick.
- 5) Pipe with a #61 or rose petal tip.
Starburst Flower Instructions
- 1) Find your favorite flavored starburst ( I used a bag of the reds) and melt them in the microwave for about 10 seconds.
- 2) Pull apart pieces and wrap into a cylinder to form rose petals. I used about one starburst per rose. I pulled apart the starburst into three sections to step up from the bottom cylinder.
- 3) Sprinkle cupcakes with green sugar and place rose in center of cupcake.