I had to do something festive for the Fourth of July. Unfortunately, all my friends were out of town for the holiday so I didn't do an all out dinner party. Just these darling tie-dye cupcakes.
- 1) Combine flours and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
- 2) In a large bowl beat sugar and butter together until smooth.
- 3) Add in eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- 4) Alternate adding flour mix with buttermilk until just combined.
- 1) Divide batter into 3 bowls and add blue food coloring to one and red to the other until deep color achieved.
- 2) place small spoonfuls of each color into each liner until so that each color is visible on the surface (about 3/4 full).
- 3) Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, until set.
- 1) Stir slightly softened butter until smooth.
- 2) Add in powdered sugar slowly, stirring together with each addition.
- 3) Add in vanilla and cake mix.
- 4) Slowly add in teaspoons of milk until frosting is medium thick.
- 5) Place in refrigerator until frosting
- 1) Once cooled, Pipe frosting onto center of each cupcake, leaving part of the tie-dye showing through.
- 2) Sprinkle with festive sprinkles, refrigerate.